Once telescopes were developed it was noticed to have a rather unusual appearance, as if it had ears, then realised later that it was a set of enormous rings in orbit around it. Hence the nick name "The ringed planet"
- Distance from sun: between 1,353, 572, 956 and 1, 513, 325, 783 km
- Orbital period (it's year): 29.447498 years
- Moons(Natural Satellites): 53 named satellites and another
- The largest is Titan, then further discovered Mimas and Enceladus followed by Hyperion (1848) and Phoebe (1898).
- Prominent rings
- Type of planet: Gaseous giant
- Length of day: 10h 39m 22.4s
- Average radius: 60,268±4 km
- Mass: 5.68319 x 1026 kg
- Gravity near cloud tops at equator: 10.44 m/s2 1.06458 g
- Temperature of cloud tops: -139.15°C (134±4 K), also quoted as -178 °C
- Atmosphere: Thickness varies with depth to core, extreme wind speeds and planetary scale cyclonic storms.
- Pressure: varies according to depth to core.
- Atmospheric composition:
- Hydrogen H2
- Helium He
- Traces of ammonia, ethane, methane, propane (traces here means actually quite a lot compared with Earth given the size of the planet)