Category: alkali earth metal
Density at 25°C: solid: 2.64 g·cm−3
Another quite reactive metal, strontium was the mainly used as a component of cathode ray tubes (the old fat TV sets). Before this it was used for extracting sugar from sugar beet.
Use, natural applications or common combinations:
- Fireworks - deep red colour.
- A single ion of strontium has been used in atomic clocks. Ref: NewScientist
- Studies in neurotransmitters behaviours.Ref: US National Library of Medicine
- Metal alloys.
- Standard atomic weight: 87.62(1)
- Melting point: 777 °C
- Boiling point: 1382 °C
- almost all stable naturally but one is slightly radioactive 87Sr (7.0%)
- 90Sr has half life of 28.7 years may be useful as it just emits electrons (beta particle). but tends to replace calcium in the body.